Sunday 31 January 2010

Everything you like is rubbish.

I saw a friend yesterday that I rarely get to see. Anyway, let's begin:


Transformers (2007) and Transformers 2 (2009)

Transformers the Animated Series was created in order to sell toys. Saying otherwise is silly. BUT, it did it so well it can be forgiven. Awesome overarching stories, a darker feeling compared to most animated series of the time, and a wonderful cast of robots made the series a joy to watch as a child.
Michael Bays adaption can be summed up like this: BOOM EXPLOSIONS SHIA LABEUF SHHH DONT WAKE MY PARENTS UP OPTIMUS
I wasn't a fan of it. I felt Michael Bay built a film around the effects, instead of the effects being there to enhance the experience. I felt the story was too human-centric, with the Transformers being more of a plot convenience. I mean, if they put any effort into the Transformers themselves, the fight scenes wouldn't be so confusing. That's one thing that the bugged the hell out of me, shaky cam + all robots being grey = You're confusing me Mr Bay, who is winning?
If I were to make this film, I'd start the film with Optimus Prime and the rest of the Autobots doing things, maybe chasing the Decepticons through space as they hurtle towards Earth. I wouldn't have 20 minutes of watching a failed actor buying a car.

James Cameron's Avatar

Not many people can put their name in front of their films. I'd say Cameron can though, he did Aliens and Terminator. He also did Dances With Wolves, Pocahontas, Ferngully.
Oh wait, no he didn't, he just shamelessly ripped them off and got away with because it was in 3-D. If you want a full rant, read my Avatar review. I don't want to waste more words on this.


All Friedberg and Seltzer movies but in particular Disaster Movie

Oh boy oh boy oh boy. Disaster Movie made a profit. What the fuck. I want you to watch this trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tihG_2BSUqg
All the while thinking "One Liner, get hit by something".
Whats that? You noticed that it does that 4 times? Essentially uses the same joke 4 times in one trailer? Yeah. I know. These movies are unfunny, uncreative, and yet it still makes millions at box office. They seem surefire hits, which is somewhat annoying. Critics everywhere love to pan these movies, and yet the general public seem to lap this shit up. It seems us denizens of good movies are in the minority. Is a shame. If you like this movie, you are everything wrong with the world


I will be doing a videogames one of these soon. Expect a lengthy paragraph on Halo.

No comments:

Post a Comment