Tuesday 12 January 2010

Dark Void demo

I'm gonna be honest, I had barely heard of Dark Void when I downloaded the demo. All I knew it was Gears of War with Jetpacks.
Wait a minute
Gears of War, an awesome third person shooter?
Jetpacks, an awesome way to get around?
Oh dear God, this game is gonna be great!

So I started the demo with fairly high hopes. Suffice to say, that this game didn't meet up to those hopes, but it did come close. The demo is fairly short, around 10 - 15 minutes long depending on how long it takes you to do things, but it does give you an idea on what the game is about. The highlights of the demo were:

  • An aerial fight with some flying enemies. It felt like I was playing a flight sim. And not a shit one, like, a really good flight sim.
  • Landing on a platform and going seamlessly from large scale aerial combat to cover-based shooting.
Both of these gave me an idea of what the game will be about. But to be honest, the game felt a little...light. I don't know if that word accurately describes what I mean, but with a name like "Dark Void", I didn't expect the bright sunshine and the Halo-like visuals. With a name like that, I was expecting more of the dim-brown-gray we've come to expect from games these days. But still, the game offered a nice 10 minutes of fun, but it didn't really give me a full appreciation on whether I should but this game or not. I'm gonna wait for a price drop on this one, it seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment