Sunday 7 February 2010

Fanboys



Fanboys, somewhat the Duke Nukem Forever of movies. It kind of got released without me noticing, despite being so hyped up for it at some point or another. After looking at some score aggregates, I was a tad disappointed. This film was getting bad reviews. But, surely not! The trailers the looked so good! So, I had to see for myself, was this film worth the wait?

It depends. There's one thing you have to be clear about when it comes to Fanboys. This film does not set out to poke fun at fanboy culture, and doesn't satirise is as opposed to simply portraying it. No, going into this film expecting to laugh at some nerds will result in disappointment. What this film is, is a celebration and a reminder. It reminds you of 1998. More to the point, it reminds you of being a Star Wars fan in 1998.

I was only 7/8 at the time, but I was a heavy Star Wars freak. I was brought up being spoon fed good cinema, and I watched the Holy Trinity at a young age. When I was told there was going to be another in just under a year, I went insane. I rewatched the films over and over again, started buying the comics, I became a nut in anticipation. I suppose, in my young state, I became a fanboy. And this film reminds of that time. The jokes are hit and miss, the story is kinda weak, and the acting sometimes goes a bit over the top, but it gives you the feeling. It gives you a feeling of love.

Star Wars died. I think we can all accept that. The new trilogy brought a few good ideas to the table (Darth Maul, and...uh...) but overall was a mess that ruined the franchise. But when watching Fanboys, just for a second, I can forget that. I can remember before Episode 1, back when Star Wars was everything to me. Back when I collected all the figures, all the pointless crap and comics that over the years I threw out in disgust. And if a film can make me feel that again, then it's done its job. If you were ever heavily into Star Wars, you owe it to yourself to watch this. Not for the acting, story, or comedy, but for the raw feeling it gives you.

No comments:

Post a Comment