Wednesday 25 November 2009

Y'know, probably should start using my blog as a, well, blog

Right, so, my day. Was alright. Then shit. Then alright.

Oh, you want me to go further? Well, okay.

Had a "University Taster" day today at Portsmouth Uni. So it obviously tasted of shit. Okay, bit harsh, but I have to say their "Creative Writing" lecturer rubbed me the wrong way. She introduced herself, like so:

"Hi, I'm Blah Blah, a published author. Here are my books"

Now, sorry if I'm speaking out of turn, but that's a pretty fucking pompous introduction. Hey, I have no problem if she said something like "I'm an author", but putting the word 'published' makes the pompous pie, my friend. Also, showing off your books? Stop advertising, if they were good enough to buy I'd have heard of them.
Anyway, she then spent an hour talking about Greek Mythology. Yeah, creative writing! Well, her excuse for this was that every story can be traced back to Greek mythology, and there are no original stories or characters.

Well, hold on a minute, there's no Greek story about aliens being unfrozen at an Antarctic Research station. Or about Bill Murray capturing ghosts. "Well," you might be saying, "They're sorta derived from the Good VS Evil stories of that time".
And that's the shittest support for a theory I've ever heard. That's like saying rocks have always existed, so Stonehenge is pretty unoriginal. I mean christ, films are more complicated nowadays. We have films that aren't Good VS Evil, because the evil is a skewed version of good. We have films that aren't a "Classic love triangle", but with more complicated romantical themes around them. Films, and in fact, stories in general (I'm a Film student, I talk about films a lot, so sue me), have evolved so much that comparing them to the tales of old and saying that they have SLIGHTLY similar themes and therefore are not original is downright insulting.
This woman also tried to convince us of the "same stories" theory by telling us about the Aztec creation theory and the Christianity creation theory, and pointing out the similarities.
WELL, DUH. Christianity is a COMBINATION of several religions. Pointing out similarities between that and other religions is like pointing out similarities between I Am Legend and Omega Man.

But ah well, silly lady left, then we visited some media gents. Finally, something interesting! Had a rousing discussion about 3-D and how it'll be the next big thing. Except, honestly, I don't think it will.
Okay, I get the appeal of maybe watching the odd show in 3-D, sure. Watching an episode of Doctor Who a week in 3-D, I can get behind that. But does anyone want to watch all their TV in 3-D? Does anyone want to watch a 3hr long movie in 3-D? Will anyone actually care if somethings not in 3-D?
I'm sure most of you agree with me on this. The jump from B+W to colour was somewhat needed. 4:3 to Widescreen allowed a more cinematic experience. SD to HD gives us better quality. What does 3-D give us? A novelty. And headaches if used for too long. It's not the next big thing, it's a novelty, and I honestly think that most people will pass it up.


But anyway, we left the Uni, we went to McDonalds, me and my friends ate food and were merry. I went to CeX and bought some banging films. The Thing, Children of Men, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, The Terminator and Be Kind, Rewind.

Okay, banging except that last one. But hey, you have to admit that for an American comedy, it put out a pretty funny trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYOKFV0XNZA

Try linking that to a Greek myth.

No comments:

Post a Comment