Saturday 7 November 2009

Left 4 Demo 2



This demo convinced me that Left4Dead 2 is a good purchase.

That is, if it was a £20 expansion pack to the original.

The game feels very familiar. Where sequals like Half-Life 2 and Modern Warfare feel like completly different experiences that further the franchises as a whole, L4D2 just feels like a fresh coat of paint over the same game. I mean, they've added a whole slew of stuff, but its stuff that doesn't really warrant a whole £40. I suppose the big change gameplay wise is the ability to wield a good number of melee weapons. In my time in the parish, I smacked zombies faces in with a frying pan and rocked their brains out with a guitar. While this was fun, it wasn't £40 fun, you know? It's something that could be an addition to the original L4D. I know asking for free updates is silly (and the boycotters should feel silly), but in a world of paid DLC, is it too much to ask for an expansion of some sort?

Bah, I'm getting ahead of myself. One of the major things I liked about the original L4D was the characters. Being light on backstory, it was their personalities that shone through. Bill, the old tired war vet rambling on was bloody awesome. As was Louise wise cracking, Francis complaining and Zoey...uh...having tits. But in L4D2, I feel theres a lack of awesome personality. In fact, apart from Coach, I struggled to like any of the characters. Nick seemed like the "replacement" for Louise, wisecracking away, but I felt kinda awkward with him. He didn't seems as brilliant as Louise, just...awkward. Rochelle is...well, I think they forgot to give her a personality. Ah well, they can always patch one in. Ellis is a twat. Coach, oh COACH. Coach is BADASS. Out of all the L4D2 characters this is the one I liked the most, and at all. He's pretty much Uncle Phil from Fresh Prince fighting zombies. Hell yeah.

Right, so weapons! Weapons are important in a game like this! Unfortuantly they all look fake and don't feel as good as the original weapons. Ah well, onto the zombies!

The Charger: Mini-tank thats just mildly annoying
The Jockey: Just mildly annoying
The Spitter: Okay this one is actually pretty good. In fact, the Spitter wouldn't seem out of place in the original game.

In short, L4D2 does not seem as groundbreaking as the original. Its pretty much the same, with some cool bits, and some lame bits. If you're planning on buying this, do yourself a favour and wait until it drops in price.

No comments:

Post a Comment