Tuesday 17 November 2009

I'm a cyborg, but thats okay



Y'know, when I stuck this movie in, I expected a love story between a robot and a human. Like the anime Chobits, I expected a movie dealing with the issues the guy goes through, as he feels himself loving a machine. I'm assumed this from the cover, which on my DVD was the cover you see up there, but in a nice soft blue. All lovey dovey and shit.
However, the film is about a mental patient who refuses to eat because she thinks she's a cyborg, and another mental patient who believes he can steal peoples souls. So yeah, I was a bit off. Maybe the other cover for this film would have clued me in better:



But, I digress. Despite my original mistake to the films genre, I really enjoyed this film. It was weird as all hell, and I don't think I quite understand all of it, but it is a really good film. The plot, while twisted, is intriguing, the acting is pretty good, and as always with Park Chan-Wook, the directing is top notch.

The plot starts off with Cha Young-goon electrocuting herself by slicing her wrist and sticking wires in it. It was at this point I abandoned the whole "Chobits but live action" idea. Obviously, she gets thrown in a mental institution. Here, she goes about her cyborg ways, wandering around talking to things and licking batteries to recharge. At this point, I realised that Park Chan-Wook really likes his kooky characters. And also, he's good at it. In my Lady Vengeance review I referred to Amelie, which I always placed number 1 of "Kooky Characters Done Well" (a list I took some time and passion to put together), and again I feel comparisons draw with the way Young-Goon runs around being silly. Being able to positively connect the two is always a good thing, Amelie is a brilliant film, and I feel that Park Chan-Wook is just as good as making a great kooky character as Jean-Pierre Jeunet. But again, I digress.
Whilst at the mental asylum, she bumps into Park Il-sun, played by Korean superstar Rain. His problem is that he's a kleptomaniac, and he can steal peoples souls. This leads to several hilarious moments, for example, he steals the soul of a guy who thinks everythings his fault, which leads Il-sun to walk around apologising, believing the soul is now his. The two have a fantastic on screen chemistry, and some of the things they say to each other are very believable (considering they are insane). You can feel the two slowly fall in love, despite their troubled minds, and they show their affection in various ways that the sane would never think of. It's truly a marvel to watch.

Disaster strikes, however, when Young-Goon stops eating, believing it will interfere with her circuitry. This is what takes up the bulk of the film, attempts to get her to eat while she runs away to lick batteries. It's a well thought out plot, and concludes appropriately. However, like all good films, this film has more than one plot, and they all weave together flawlessly. Young-Goon wants to murder all of the Asylum orderlies to save her Grandma, who was committed a few years before. She is low on battery though, so she has to lick batteries like a motherfucker in order to power up. Of course, her feeling weaker is due to her not eating, so it's an interesting take on the whole "Destroying yourself" concept. The plots to this film are very well done, starting and ending where and when they should, with the characters mindset often having a part to play in them.

That's the real beauty of this film. The entire cast are insane. I guarantee you will never see a more fantastic and mad bunch of characters than you will in I'm a Cyborg. It's a film with heart, and severe brain trauma, and it's one I'll quite happily watch again.

No comments:

Post a Comment